We are Native Americans16th July 2018
The Union Song after Brexit – Learn about the European Union16th January 2019
I’m a Sailor
I’m a Sailor is a happy action song about sailing ships and the sea. You can introduce this CLIL activity by explaining (in L1) that the song tells the story of Jack, a young English boy from Bristol who hides on a sailing ship about to leave for Boston in America. The captain discovers him and enrols Jack as a junior sailor. He sings this joyful song on his return voyage home to his parents and family across the Atlantic Ocean. The story is set in the 18th century.
This is what you get with your I’m a Sailor action song package:
- Teacher’s Notes and Lesson Plans: useful suggestions on how to use this package and its worksheets.
- A full teaching actions video of I’m a Sailor. Learn the song and its actions before bringing it to your classes.
- 2 MP3 files of I’m a Sailor: a guide-voice version and the music-only, karaoke version for performances and school events.
- A song sheet (with guitar chords).
- A set of 4 photocopiable worksheets and classroom activities to recycle the contents of the song in a variety of contexts.
Vocabulary and Language
You can teach and practise these words in I’m a Sailor:
Nouns: sailor, sea, ship, ocean, America, wind, sky, home
Verbs: to be, to look at, to sail
Adjectives: big, blue
Teach I’m a Sailor to:
- Introduce the theme of the oceans and the sea
- Notions of geography, history and technology
- Learn and practice some simple verbs including to look at